Comments are used to ask for more information or clarify a question or answer.
Comments may be posted by everyone on one's own questions and answers. Once a user has earned 50 reputation, comments may be dropped on anybody's post.
A user can leave a comment to:
- ask for additional information or clarification
- add something to an existing answer or question that wouldn't justify an answer of its own
- reply to a comment
- explain an up- or downvote (but especially desirable with downvotes)
- refer to an aspect which concerns the question but wouldn't be a proper answer.
Comments should always be friendly and constructive.
Don't cast a comment
- which is comprehensive enough to be an answer – write an answer instead
- as part of a lengthy discussion – use the chat function instead
- just to say hello or thank you.